Friday, September 23, 2011

AARP Mailbag: 4 of 4

From: luridtransom
To: "member@aarp.org"
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Your retirement isn't a budget line item

Dear Darlene,

Thanks for your response. However, you COMPLETELY FAILED to answer my question. Let me ask it again in a different way.

First of all, there is broad agreement among pretty much everyone who understands basic math, regardless of political persuasion, that Medicare and Social Security, as they currently exist, are financially unsustainable. By financially unsustainable, I mean the long-term structural deficits of these programs will consume an ever-increasing percentage of GDP, and the payroll taxes collected will no longer cover the benefit payments.

If you disagree with this, and believe Medicare and Social Security status quo IS sustainable, please say so and explain.

Otherwise, please explain AARP's proposed solution to the unsustainability discussed above. And don't just tell me you want to protect seniors. I know that already, and that is NOT an answer to my question.

I look forward to your response, which I will post on my blog.

Regards,
luridtransom

No comments: