Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lamar Smith to America: F*ck You!

You'll recall our inquiry to Congressman Lamar Smith asking whether he supports several planks of the 2012 Texas GOP platform.  Well, it turns out Mr. Smith refuses to tell us whether he supports or opposes those planks.  Why?  Because he doesn't give a crap about you, America.  Here's the e-mail chain to prove it, which we've painstakingly arranged in a top-to-bottom format for your reading convenience.  We aim to please.

From: luridtransom
To: Lamar Smith’s DC Office
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:20 PM
Subject: 2012 GOP platform.

Dear [Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)],

Thanks for returning my call earlier today.  I'd like to know Congressman Smith's position on several planks from the 2012 Texas GOP platform.  I have copied and pasted nine planks verbatim from the platform document. Please let me know whether Congressman Smith supports each of the planks listed. Feel free to explain his support or opposition to the planks - in fact, explanations are welcomed. But be clear as to each plank whether the Congressman supports or opposes it.

I've selected planks I believe are relevant to national issues and the U.S. Congress, as opposed to state or local issues.  Below are the planks, and thanks in advance for your help.

Term Limits - We urge Congress, the Legislature, and the Republican Party to institute Term Limits.

U.S. Department of Education – Since education is not an enumerated power of the federal government, we believe the Department of Education (DOE) should be abolished.

Education Spending – Since data is clear that additional money does not translate into educational achievement, and higher education costs are out of control, we support reducing taxpayer funding to all levels of education institutions.

Capital Gains Tax – We favor abolishing the capital gains tax.

Ethanol – We support the repeal of legislation mandating ethanol as fuel additives and/or primary fuel.

Sound Money – Our founding fathers warned us of the dangers of allowing central bankers to control our currency because inflation equals taxation without representation. We support the return to the time tested precious metal standard for the U.S. dollar.

United Nations – We support the withdrawal of the United States from the United Nations and the removal of U.N. headquarters from U.S. soil.

Foreign Aid – We oppose foreign aid except in cases of national defense or catastrophic disasters, with Congressional approval.

International Organizations – We support U.S. withdrawal from the International Monetary Fund, the World Trade Organization and the World Bank.

If this should be directed at his campaign, please let me know where I should send it.

My blog is luridtransom.  Here's a link:  http://luridtransom.blogspot.com/  I hope you enjoy reading it.

Regards,
luridtransom


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: luridtransom
To: Texans for Lamar Smith
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:00 AM
Subject: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Last month I sent the inquiry below to [a staffer] in Congressman Smith's office.  I haven't heard back from her despite a couple of follow ups.  Perhaps she is on vacation, I'm not sure.  In any event, she mentioned that she'd look at my questions, which might be more appropriate for the campaign.  So I'm directing my inquiry to the campaign in order to get a substantive response.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Regards,
luridtransom


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: luridtransom
To: Texans for Lamar Smith
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 11:49 AM
Subject: Fw: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Lamar Smith Campaign:

Please either respond substantively to my media inquiry or let me know that you REFUSE to respond to my media inquiry.  Thank you.


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: luridtransom
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:04 AM
To: Lamar Smith’s DC Office
Subject: Fw: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Dear [Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)],

I am STILL trying to get a response to my inquiry below, which I sent you back in August.  Can you kindly answer my request, or forward it to someone that can?  Perhaps Congressman Smith himself would respond.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
luridtransom

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
To: luridtransom
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:01 AM
Subject: RE: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

luridtransom,

We do not participate in every interview request that we receive.  Please accept our decision to decline the interview and use the information already provided to you or available on our website.

Thanks,
[Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)]

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: luridtransom
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:00 PM
To: Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
Subject: Re: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Dear [Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)],

I've simply asked for the Congressman's position on some planks from the Texas GOP platform.  I mean, he either supports those planks or he doesn't, right?  Why does Congressman Smith refuse to answer my questions?  Thanks.

luridtransom

 ----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
To: luridtransom
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:54 AM
Subject: RE: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Our office declines to participate in your story.  You can either use the information that was provided to you in a written letter earlier this year, or we have information about Congressman Smith’s views on various issues on our website.


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: luridtransom
To: Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: 2012 Texas GOP platform inquiry.

Dear [Staffer for Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)],

I am very disappointed.  We both know you have previously provided zero answers to my questions.  Your website provides zero answers.  I believe America has the right to know Congressman Smith's position on, for example, term limits and withdrawing from the UN.  It's not that Congressman Smith is declining to participate in an interview request.  That's not what my inquiry really is.  Essentially Congressman Smith is saying, "Hey, America.  I have so little respect for you that I won't even tell you my position on a few planks of my own party's platform.  I hold you in contempt, lowly taxpayers and veterans and hard-working American families.  As a successful politician, I have no time for honesty and candor, or even telling you where I stand beyond hollow talking points written by someone else."

I appreciate you letting me know Mr. Smith refuses to address my questions.

Regards,
luridtransom

No comments: