Thursday, November 10, 2011

Big XII Time.



If Texas had to replace Mack Brown from within the ranks of Big 12 coaches, here's my list in order of preference:

1. Bob Stoops - The obvious choice. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

2. Mike Gundy - He wasn't ready for the HC gig when T. Boone hired him, but he's got OSU in perenial Top 25 country, and his Pokes have a legitimate shot at the NC this year.

3. Art Briles - This is a tough one. I think Briles can coach, but how does he translate to Texas? How much success can you really have at Baylor? Could be a disaster, but Briles has "tons of upside" per Mel Kiper, Jr.

4. Tommy Tuberville - Is Tubs a Poor Man's Mack Brown? Not much wow factor. Tubs would excel at winning 9 games at Texas.

5. Mike Sherman - Most of these coaches come with the question: But how would he do at Texas, with all the resources and attendant expectations? Not Sherman. I think I know exactly how he'd do at Texas. Now watch Sherm make me look the fool when he rattles off five straight SEC championships.

6. Paul Rhoads - It's easy to deliver a fiery locker room speech when your Cyclones beat the Longhorns. What about when your Longhorns beat the Cyclones? Rhoads is easy to like, but I have no idea how he'd fare at a high pressure gig.

7. Bill Snyder - Without a doubt, he's among the all time great college coaches. But he'd HATE the Texas job and would retire after Year 1. Wonder if he'd beat K-State? If I thought he was a fit at Texas and would coach for another decade, he'd be at #2.

8. Gary Pinkel - Is Pinkel a Rich Man's John Mackovic? He's had some success at Mizzou, but I don't think he's maxed Mizzou out, like Leach did at Tech, for example. I'll admit one reason for his low ranking is he rubs me the wrong way, bad.

9. Turner Gill - Just imagine DeLoss introducing Turner Gill as the next head coach.

No comments: